Saturday, February 19, 2005

If You Are Not Me, I Don't Like You.

I have often wondered about the way in which we interact with other living things, while secretly not liking any of them. Well, sure, we might like to eat some of them, and some may give us pleasure, but in the end, it is all about “me.”

Do you ever think about the human relationship with potential extraterrestrial life? Whether that life was good or bad, would we not feel a special fealty or bond with our own kind. Kind of a speciesist attitude? Don’t we already display this attitude toward the other species here on Earth?

For example, in theory we like killer whales. Killer whales are few, and worthy of our interest. But if there had to be a choice between one person and a whale, we would choose the person. Even if that person was an escaped convicted child molester, we would kill the whale if it was necessary to save the person, however unworthy of saving.

So even the worthy animals are not equal to humans, let alone the ones that happen to be tasty. Even that dog you claim to love quickly becomes that "damn dog" when he makes a mess on the floor.

But beyond our speciesist attitudes, we also feel that special bond to those in our national region when comparing other humans. When visiting Europe or Asia and you happen upon someone from Canada or Mexico, don’t you feel that special bond, that Europe ort Asia is nice, but they are not like us from the New World? And really, don't these regional differences trump race or sex?

And certainly when in Canada, that bond is even stronger when you meet another American, even if you are from Seattle, and that person is from Philadelphia. You may live physically closer to the Canadians, have similar weather and interests, but the other person is an American, dammit.

But how strong is that bond with the Philadelphian? Certainly when compared to Canadians he is nice, but really, Pennsylvania is not Washington State, and we care about our State and its issues (and sports teams).

But Washington is important only until you start to delineate counties. Clearly those of us in King County are more educated and care more about the world than the hillbillies in other counties, for example. We have to carry those bozos into the 21st century kicking and screaming.

King County is cool, though, until you recognize that within King County, Bellevue is the city that I care about. The rest of King County only matters because that is where Bellevue is. But Bellevue is pretty big, and I really only care about it as the place where my kid’s school is, and neighborhood.

It is a pretty cool neighborhood, too. A lot of nice neighbors. But you know, sometimes I don’t think those neighbors pull their weight. They use loud power tools when I am sleeping or daydreaming, and often have parties and allow their friends to park in front of my house. Their houses are kept up, but not really like I would do it. Plus when it comes down to it, I would have to side with my family over the neighbors in any dispute, right?

I know that my family pulls its weight in this neighborhood.

But really that is only because of my efforts. If it was not for me we would be like the rest of those slobs. Even within the house I know I do more than my fair share. The kids especially get away with everything. Within my family, it is clear to me that I am the one who makes it all happen.

I mean, of course I love my family, and my country, but I guess I really don’t like them, because they are not me.

Thank God that my individual limbs aren’t sentient, because I am pretty sure that my right side feels like it carries the brunt of the work around here…and probably doesn't like the left very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links
The Antagonist's Reserve Drill Payment Calculator
 
 The Antagonist's 2005 Reserve Drill Payment Calculator

What is your pay grade?


What is your minimum Time in Service?

Enter the number of drill periods.

 Bible Search
Translation :



Search For :
Powered by : Antagonism on the Web
I'm poor.
It's official.
There are 39,597,565 richer people on earth!



How rich are you? >>